Do not be shocked by my foul use of language! I assure you it is in the name of art and is a vital art historical reference to this post ( and perhaps series...)
Artist's Shit is the name of a piece by Piero Msnzoni, a precursor to the Art Povera movement or "poor art". Basically it is a can (series of 90) with a straightforward label of contents in a couple different languages for inclusivity, mocking the practices of mass production and consumption and " satirizing the reverence usually accorded to artists work" (theart story.org) No one has opened the can to see if it does in fact contain 30 g of excrement so it could be literal shit or just BS! The world will never know!
I was reminded by this piece during my daily rounds around art school. Art(school) Shit is therefore the title of a list of sorts of sights and sounds that are so typical it is hilarious around the revered SAIC.
1. This is a new piece of ART displayed prominently by Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate. Yes the rocks have been imported from Nigeria. If you do not get this, the meaning is obviously to deep for you. Art school ROCKS!
2. Doesn't your school have cacti parties? Art school celebrates inclusivity.
3. In my art history class, a fellow grad passionately proclaimed "the world is my studio!" Just let that sit there for a while.
4. The new artist must be avant garde with their distribution method. Bathroom trash cans =perfect place to reach new audiences.
5. Today I overheard a furried debate over the structure of a writing workshop class.
" I do not like the attitude of the class! How am I supposed to work in this setting? It is not that the people are mean, more like its stiff. I just don't like the feeling. There is NO RESOLUTION! Obviously she (the professor) needs to be hit over the head!"
Art students are nothing if not opinionated.
This has been your daily source of Art School insight. I'm your host, Becca Beaird. Ta ta for now blog readers!